Stress is an indispensable part of life. With the increasing competition in our day to day routine, we often succumb to stress. Often the root cause of stress is difficult to decipher, and this makes it essential to beat stress.
Some amount of stress which motivates and reinforces us to achieve a given task at hand is good stress. When the level of stress increases, the body feels threatened and enters the ‘fight’ or ‘flight’ mode. If not managed well, stress can give rise to problems various problems. Headaches, high blood pressure, dwindling immunity, and depression are a few. Here are some ways which you can use to deal with stress.
1) Planning is key: Ensuring that work is prioritised on a daily basis is essential. A to- do list is one of the best methods to keep a track of the job which needs attention immediately.
2) Goal setting: Accomplishing realistic goals in a S.M.A.R.T way are paramount to handle stress. Unrealistic goals often lead to disappointments. Accomplishing small goals on a time to time basis and achieving them is the fuel to get you going.
3) Optimism: A positive and optimistic approach to work life is integral. Positive thoughts reproduce positive results. So, even in the midst of problems, your positive thinking will help you grow. To progress towards an optimistic attitude, here are some ways to reinforce positive thinking.
4) Time to pick up that book!: According to a study conducted at the University of Sussex, it was concluded that reading can help to reduce stress by up to sixty-eight percent. Reading any genre of books that you enjoy will help you calm down by opening up an imaginative world. Reading is believed to calm people sooner as opposed to any other medium.
5) Breathe: Considering the time restrictions, it is often impossible to devote time to yoga. But, if practiced for a while on a daily basis, it assists in dealing with stress in a better manner. Breathing exercises for five minutes everyday calm the mind and result in better decision making. It is one of the simplest forms of yoga that you can practice anytime, anywhere.
6) Pursue your hobbies: Taking up an activity which helps you unwind is integral for breaking away from the monotony of work. It also induces creative thinking and has a positive reflection on the tasks you undertake. It reinforces positive behaviour and contributes in elevating your mood.
7) Physical activity? Why not!: Taking up any kind of sporting or physical activity is the best stress buster. It’s liberating and helps the body cope with different stresses. It produces endorphin (which are the feel-good neurotransmitters). It also enhances sleep patterns, which tend to get disrupted by stress.
8) Say yes to Chocolates: A little dark chocolate goes a long way in reducing stress as pointed out by researchers. Dark chocolates contain chemicals like serotonin which also work as antidepressants. So the next time you’re stressed, choose dark chocolate!
Stress intertwined with a high amount of workload disrupts mental peace. Have a positive approach towards life and follow the above simple tips. With this, you will have prepared yourself for the battle against stress!